Our Player


Thursday, June 7, 2007

Going so green that I bleed spinach

For more than the last year, KT and I have been down to only one car. Something unfortunate went wrong with her car and forced an early demise. However; it was a Dodge, its demise was more than likely right on time. I really don’t understand why the American auto industry is having so much trouble. I’m only one of so many that prefers to have a really expensive product work when I need it to. Since then we’ve only had a Honda to rely on (I know, I’m nervous too. It’s not like it’s a Dodge.) While in Provo things worked out great. I lived a parking lot away from work and just walked so that KT could get to her job and later when Marin came along, she was never stranded at home with no way to get out. Now that we have moved to N.C., work is a little farther than a parking lot away, about six miles farther. We have loved so much only having one car (gas, payments, up-keep etc.) that instead of a new car, I have started riding my bike to work. I feel all responsible, like I’m doing my part for the environment. While that is all nice and good, it actually has nothing to do with it. It’s just a convenient bonus. Sometimes I wonder if I should feel a little guilty about being less than altruistic. Then I come to my senses. The cool thing is that it just happened to become an easy choice for us. In addition to single handedly saving the word of pollution by biking to work, our new home is an energy star home. This means that all of our appliances are working to save energy and money. We don’t even have natural gas piped into the neighborhood because the homes are built to be conservative and eco friendly. We just got our first bills and this seems to be holding true. The home has some special type of insulation that so far has been great. It’s 90+ outside and a cool 70 inside. This remains relatively constant unless we open up all the blinds in the home and let too much sun in. I’m really just blown away by how environmentally friendly we’ve become. Now we can walk around with our noses in the air and snub everyone that is not working as hard as we are to protect Mother Gaia. Just call me CAPTAIN PLANET.

3 comments:

Camie said...

I always knew you were a super hero.

erinmalia said...

i'm not sure you are a super hero. does all this do-gooding count if it's happening by default?

Brooke said...

Dan and KT,

While you are saving the earth, C and I are doing our part to DESTROY IT. We can't recycle a bloody thing here, the pollution in Almaty makes Newark, NJ's air seem fresh, and people litter their trash all over the hallway of our building. We will continue to crap on the earth as you freshen it up-this way there is balance in the universe.